Two large tins of palm nuts
One large teaspoon salt
Six small-medium cloves of garlic
Ten green (kpakpo shito) peppers
Six smoked herrings
Two smoked salmon
½ smoked tuna
Six large snails
One piece of momoni
One kilogram of meat
Four pieces of crab
- Pound the palm nuts in a large pestle and mortar for about
10-15 minutes until the bowl and ‘chaff’ is a bright orange
and the seeds have come out of their shell. Wash all the
fresh ingredients well. Dice the onion and garlic.
- Add the meat, onion, garlic, salt, ginger, kpakpo shito,
momoni and tomatoes to a large pot and steam on
- Empty the pounded nuts into a pot and rinse then sieve
several times until you get a dark brown tinted orange
juice with no chaff. Add the palm nut juice to the pot on
- Leave this boiling for about 30 minutes.
- Add the fish in preferred chunks.
- Remove snail from shell. Wash well and clean with lime
juice to remove slim and trim any bits
- Add the snails and crabs.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes until fish and meat are tender.
Ingredients for Fufu
Four tubers of cassava
Three green plantains
- Peel and cut plantain and cassava into smaller pieces.
- Boil for 30 minutes
- Wash mortar and pestle
- Set up for pounding. `
- Pound the plantain first till it becomes a soft doughy ball
- Set the plantain aside and repeat action with cassava
- Pound the plantain and cassava till both are finely mixed.
- Occasionally add water when pounding to make the mixture soft.