”But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. When He comes, He will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: about sin, because people do not believe in Me; about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.” – John 16:7-11 (NIV)
We started with the personality of the Holy Spirit two weeks ago, and continue this week with our study on “The Emblems of the Holy Spirit.” Please enjoy and pass it on!
THE EMBLEMS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Like the thirteen names and titles, His seven designated emblems throw light upon both His nature and mission.
- THE DOVE: INDICATING PURITY, PEACE AND MODESTY
“Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him.” – John 1:32. “But my dove, my perfect one, is unique, the only daughter of her mother, the favorite of the one who bore her. The young women saw her and called her blessed; the queens and concubines praised her.” – Song of Songs 6:9 “I said, “Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest.” – Psalm 55:6. “My dove in the clefts of the rock, in the hiding places on the mountainside, show me your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely.” – Song of Songs 2:14.
B.WATER: INDICATING LIFE AND CLEANSING
“For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out My Spirit on your offspring, and My blessing on your descendants.” – Isaiah 44:3 “7 On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”[c] 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.” – John 7:37-39
- OIL: INDICATING LIGHT, HEALING, AND ANOINTING FOR SERVICE
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free.” – Luke 4:18. “how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.” – Acts 10:38 “You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy.” – Heb. 1:9”. “0 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.” – 1 John 2:20
- A SEAL: INDICATING OWNERSHIP, FINISHED TRANSACTION, IDENTIFICATION, SECURITY, GENUINENESS, VALUE, AUTHORITY
“And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit.” – Eph. 1:13. “ And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” – Eph. 4: 30. “ set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.” – 2 Cor. 1:22
There are three important occasions in the Bible when a seal is used:
- As used by Darius to place Daniel in the lion’s den. “So the king gave the order, and they brought Daniel and threw him into the lions’ den. The king said to Daniel, “May your God, whom you serve continually, rescue you!” A stone was brought and placed over the mouth of the den, and the king sealed it with his own signet ring and with the rings of his nobles, so that Daniel’s situation might not be changed.” – Daniel 6:16-17
- As used by Ahasuerus (upon the advice of wicked Haman) to plot the wholesale murder of the Persian Jews. “Then Haman said to King Xerxes, “There is a certain people dispersed among the peoples in all the provinces of your kingdom who keep themselves separate. Their customs are different from those of all other people, and they do not obey the king’s laws; it is not in the king’s best interest to tolerate them. If it pleases the king, let a decree be issued to destroy them, and I will give ten thousand talent of silver to the king’s administrators for the royal treasury.” So the king took his signet ring from his finger and gave it to Haman son of Hammedatha, the Agagite, the enemy of the Jew1 “Keep the money,” the king said to Haman, “and do with the people as you please.” “Then on the thirteenth day of the first month the royal secretaries were summoned. They wrote out in the script of each province and in the language of each people all Haman’s orders to the king’s satraps, the governors of the various provinces and the nobles of the various peoples. These were written in the name of King Xerxes himself and sealed with his own ring.” – Esther 3:8-12
- As used by Pilate to seal the tomb of Jesus. “So they went and made the tomb secure by putting a seal on the stone and posting the guard.” – Matt. 27:66
E.IND: INDICATING UNSEEN POWER
“The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” – John 3:8. “When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.” – Acts 2:1-2
- FIRE: INDICATING PRESENCE, APPROVAL, PROTECTION, PURIFYING, GIFT, JUDGMENT
- THE PRESENCE OF THE LORD
“So Moses thought, “I will go over and see this strange sight—why the bush does not
burn up.” – Exodus 3:2
- THE APPROVAL OF THE LORD
“Fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the fat portions on the altar. And when all the people saw it, they shouted for joy and fell facedown.” – Lev. 9:24
- THE PROTECTION OF THE LORD
“By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night.” – Exodus 13:21.
- THE PURIFYING FROM THE LORD
“In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.” At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke. “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.” Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar. With it he touched my mouth and said, “See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for.” Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” – Isaiah 6:1-8
- THE GIFT OF THE LORD
“They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them.” – Acts 2:3
- THE JUDGMENT OF THE LORD
“for our God is a consuming fire.” – Heb. 12:29
- AN EARNEST: INDICATING FIRST-FRUITS, DOWN-PAYMENT, A PLEDGE, AN ASSURANCE OF THE EVENTUAL COMPLETE PAYMENT
“set His seal of ownership on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.” – 2 Cor. 1:22. “Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.” – 2 Cor. 5:5. “who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of His glory.” – Eph. 1:14
Source: Wilmington’s Guide to the Bible
All Scriptures are from the New International Version. Stay blessed!
For further inquiries please contact us on Tel Nos. 0302-772013 or 0268130615